Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Why is this taking so long?"

Breaking away from my usual jovial posts and stories, I feel inlined to write about something else on my mind. The deeply meaningful question "Why is this taking so long?"
My grandmother, Beulah Hinckley Rose, is near to death. At the age of 96, justifiably so. She is the last living Hinckley of her generation since the passing of her cousin (our sweet prophet President Hinckley) and of her last living sister. Grandma Rose is the youngest child in her very large family. And she has watched them all pass away one at a time. My grandfather passed away 12 years ago this month, and since then, Grandma has never been the same. She misses him dreadfully. Now, near to death, my own mother sits at her bedside, stroking her arm, holding her hand, and talking about stories from her childhood that bring her joy. Mother gives her occasional drinks of water, juice, and Ensure through a syringe. Like all Hinckleys, she is at her full mental capacities. No Alzheimers or foggy thoughts. Although too physically weak to carry on verbal conversation, she is mentally alert and sound. And she mumbles in a tired whisper-like voice to my Mother, "Why is this taking so long?". It breaks my heart, because here I am, posing the same question, but in a very different manner.
Grandma Rose aches to move on and progress to her next estate, where she can be with her loved ones who have long since passed before her. To see my grandfather, her sweetheart. To exit gracefully from the twilight of her life, and joyously into her next existence, where she can stand in the presence of her Lord.
I am about 38 weeks pregnant, and although very healthy, I am tired, I am worn out, I am emotionally stressed and overwhelmed at the task at hand. I know my time for this new life is near, but I don't know when. And some days when I feel so achy and anxious and even scared, I think to myself "Why is this taking so long?" I long for the new life that will come into this world, as my grandmother anxiously awaits to leave this world. We are both on the edge of a great spiritual change. A new soul, fresh from the arms of heaven, ready to gain a physical body and begin the new journey. And an old soul, worn down by the rigors of a marvelously fulfilling life, ready to leave her physical body and likewise begin the new journey.
Even though she is in Salt Lake City, and I am in Norman Oklahoma, I feel unusually close to my grandmother at this time. Perhaps she and my unborn child will cross in passing, as one life begins and another ends. Our Heavenly Fathers Plan for his children and their eternal families will come full circle. While we as impatient mortals must to endure and wonder "Why is this taking so long?", we must remember that all things are in the Lords good time. He has his hand in all things, especially when we enter this world and leave it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Sar - for saying it so well.

Lizzy Lou said...

That really does pretty much say it all. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take care of grandma for a few years and get really close to her. It's going to be a hard, but good goodbye. In reference to her asking why it's taking so long, Dad is already calling it "the long goodbye." Just like her phone calls. :)