Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Trash or Treasure?


How many of you have sold something on Craigslist? It is great because it is FREE. Unlike Ebay, which have raised their sellers rates as of lately....grrr. With Craigslist you can post pictures, and sell WHATEVER! And you wouldn't believe what there is a market for out there.
So this last spring I sold a couch. It was a good couch, but it took almost a MONTH to sell. Some people who said they'd buy it pulled a no-show. Others would come see it and decide against it. Finally 2 college guys hauled it off for $100. But that thing was in my garage for the LONGEST time.
WELL....last night at like 10pm, I post a dresser for sale. It is an antique dresser that has been painted creme colored. It was actually a salvaged item from Linda Gledhill before she moved. But it is taking up space, and I don't need it. I need a BOOKCASE is what I need. So I figured I would try to sell the dresser on Craigslist for $20, and hope to turn around and buy a cheap Wal*Mart bookcase. Looking at it....I thought, hmmm $20 is asking much, maybe someone will offer me $15 and I'll go for it.
No sooner had I posted this thing, than my in-box got JAM PACKED with willing buyers. I got 27 offers last night! And I of course promised it to the first person to ask. This morning when I woke up, I had 18 more offers in my e-mail inbox! Now, tell me, in your ever-so professional opinions.....is this rare, beautiful, and amazing, one-of-a-kind antique dresser worth like $5,000 and I'm totally underselling it? I've never HAD so many people BEGGING to come buy something from me. I feel like I'm clue-less and missing something here. I thought $20 was reasonable, even a stretch. My husband says I should have listed it for $100. Hahaha!!! I've received 3 more e-mails about the thing just while I was typing this posting!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

In my opinion, start high and then get cheaper. Don't ever think "what would I pay for this?" because you're not the one shopping for an antique dresser. Furniture, especially rare items, can easily fetch $50-$100 even at yard sales. I've seen it happen!

Taryn said...

I would have given you fifty!

Mikezilla said...

$20.00 is a deal and people like good deals. You probably would have sold your couch faster if the price was lower because of the "deal" factor.
This is Johanna by the way not mike, I can't get in as me so I cheated!

The Hubler Fam! said...

Taryn...I am then definitely decided I'm a moron then!!!! Oh well. I didn't pay anything for it, so I came out ahead any way you look at it! Pity I could have gotten more though!

Tiffany said...

I personally think it is really ugly. I like to get good deals. So, when I'm selling stuff on Craigslist I try to go somewhere between bargain basement prices and what the most someone would pay for it. I usually just want it to sell. If you start off asking too much even if you drop the price later, it seems to not sell so easily if at all.