Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blessings

My journey in Primary has come to an end. I don't often open my heart on my blog for all to see. But this last week has been quite a week for me, and I will feel better writing it out. Last Sunday 3/15, I was released from my calling as Primary President and handed over all things pertaining to Primary to the newly called Presidency. I bid a tearful goodbye to the kids I have grown to know and love so well. Off to the adult world I go. It was hard, and it was really sad for me. I was actually surprised that I was so tearful reflecting on it and letting it go. I have known nothing else for so long, the calling became so much of who I was. I have never given so much time and heart into a calling since my mission. True, I served in Primary twice as long as I served my mission, but I felt I gave my very best every step of the way, even when it was so difficult and the woos inside of me wanted to bail out. Near the end was the hardest. The last quarter of 2008 was wrought with changes in Presidency members, key teachers, and BABIES being born (specifically my little colicky wonder-boy). At times I felt I was barely hanging on by a thread. Luckily, I was blessed to work with some INCREDIBLY AMAZING sisters in Primary. Within my presidency, as well as teachers and Nursery workers. I learned so much from these ladies. And I always felt their love for the Lord and the children by how valiantly they served. They inspired me to keep pressing on.
The Sunday I was released I admit I felt very sad. I felt like I had to give up something so precious. I was not resentful or anything, I just felt like I had to mourn over the finality of it all. Nobody said much of anything to me that day other than comments of how relieved I must feel. Yes and no was a fairly accurate answer. And although my church service is meant to be pleasing to my Heavenly Father, and not for the 'glory of man' as it is said....still, I was hoping some parent somewhere would tell me that I did a good job. That I made a difference in the life of their child. That the kids would miss me. Or just a little tiny thank-you. I went home feeling a little lost, and unappreciated. And for that I felt incredibly GUILTY. Because I know I shouldn't be expecting praise! That would make me an unworthy servant. I called my brother Sam, who although he is younger than me, is a spiritual giant in my eyes. Wise beyond his years. I told him how I was feeling and he shared something very insightful. He said "Do you know what one of the hardest things for the Savior must have been, as he was performing the Atonement?"..."The fact that he knew fully well that there would be so many people who would never care. And he did it anyway". That really puts it into perspective for me. And I am now OKAY. And I have no place to complain. At all. So I needed that spiritual reality check. Thanks Sam, message received. My husband told me that the Lord will bless me for the service I gave, in his own way and in his own time. Peace filled my heart, and I have moved on. And this last week has been incredible. The blessings that have followed have humbled me. To share three...
-Our home, which had insufficient attic ventilation due to an oversight in construction 8 years ago, got a FREE REPAIR form the builder Heartland Homes. Even though legally they had no obligation to fix it (how it ever passed inspections I'll never know), they answered my call and installed new vents in my roof anyway simply because it was the right thing to do. Hopefully this year I will not have to pay OG&E $280 in August, like last year. This was an answer to prayers and a blessing.
-Second, our good friend Steve Bittle offered to sell us a new computer (ours was about 8 years old and near to dying) he built himself. It is great, runs so fast, already has all the software installed that we needed, and a 19" flat panel monitor that I LOVE. The price was more than generously reasonable. This gracious offer from Steve came just at the right time, and was an answer to prayers.
-And on Tuesday, I received word that a significant item of litigation that I have been involved with since 2007 had reached a settlement agreement. And I can finally put a very painful and stressful experience behind me forever. This is a huge relief and blessing, as this has burdened me daily for so long. It is finally over.
I've been very humbled that the Lord has been mindful of me specifically. It is as if he was telling me that my offering was sufficient, and in turn he eased some burdens for me that I had been troubled with. I can't help but acknowledge and praise him, for his hand in my life. And the humble reminder that he IS there, and he knows us individually, and his love for us is very real.

4 comments:

Lizzy Lou said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. It makes me want to take a step back and look at what I am thankful for and have been blessed with recently in my life. :)

Lacey's easel said...

HOW COOL IS THAT? See, your service in primary did not go unnoticed. Even if you think members didn't notice, or didn't care, they did/do. You handled every problem child, every stressful situation, and every teaching moment just fine. Some members think like this

The grass is greener on the other side, wait 'till I get there, I'll handle everything so much better, or different, UNTIL THEY GET THERE..and then it's like, wow, that last presidency did all this and was still a walking body of saints?! Wait is this astroturf? I thought it was going to be all peachy here in primary! Sometimes the attitude of "I can do better" or "She doesn't handle things the way I would" lead people to not give thanks for member's tireless and heartfelt service. (Not that you "needed" praise because you get the big picture of serving the Lord without expectations..but I can see your point).

I KNOW you love each one of those children. I could feel it every time you had to step up and teach a Sharing Time when a teacher dropped the ball, or filled in at nursery when workers just didn't want to show up, or really prayed over callings, or what to do for activities, or Christmas gifts, or birthday handouts. I KNOW you loved them, and I THANK YOU! Thanks for being a great leader in our church. I'm glad that you realize some people just don't give thanks, and that's okay...because we fear God more than we fear man, and you know God is pleased and grateful. That's all that matters. Good job..and well done thou good and faithful Sarah! :) Oh, and can I say I'm SO glad you're back in RS with us now!!! YEEEEHAH!

Kristine said...

For us coming in, I think we have just been overwhelmed by our new callings, and trying to understand what we need to do. My boys have enjoyed being in primary, and Sam hasn't had to be taken to us once (it was every other week in CA). What the difference is exactly, we don't know. But we haven't had to bribe him to go since we got here. For that alone, we're grateful for everyone that works (and has worked) with him.

Biggs Family said...

I love you Sarah, your testimony of the Lord and service is truly inspiring to me and helps me as I have taken on a big change in callings.

I am so glad that the Lord has blessed you guys, that is so awesome about your settlement agreement. I am so happy for you. I love you girl.