Okay, so I understand that if there is a tornado forming, people need to know. But tonight, the coverage of the (typical) spring storm systems that moved through the OKC metro was RIDICULOUS and here is my rant.
We have an emergency broadcast system...you know, they test it and "BEEEEEP...had this been an actual emergency" we would then receive the needed instruction. That is what it is there for, so that in an emergency, authorities can "break in" and interrupt whatever programming is scheduled.
But here in Oklahoma, ALL 4 MAJOR CHANNELS feel the need to cover the exact same storm from start to finish, regardless of whether or not it produces a tornado, because "it could" and they have to be on-site for "if" anything happens. So we watch the Doppler, and hear about the winds, and the hail, and the rain, and where it is going, and when. BUT WE DO NOT NEED TO HEAR IT FOR 3 HOURS STRAIGHT ON ALL 4 CHANNELS. Besides, even when you are watching your favorite show, there is a commercial break every 7 minutes or so....can we not save the weather updates for during the commercial breaks ONLY?
Tonight all major Thursday night programming was pre-empted because we HAD to watch every single minute of this storm. We missed My Name is Earl, Scrubs, The Office (how DARE THEY!), and as I'm typing this, I'm missing CSI, because Gary England is talking in his ever-so monotone voice about how "this storm cell is much calmer now, but we're going to keep an eye on it for you here on news 9".
Don't get me wrong, if there is a tornado on the ground, I'd hope they'd break-in and tell us all. But 3 hours of coverage of this same storm???? GIVE ME A BREAK OKLAHOMA!!!
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












8 comments:
i totally agree!!! i can't believe i missed all my shows to watch a storm that has potential to be bad! i don't get may vices and i don't want to give up my TV.
You must have been reading my mind! I have never understood it either. Even in Iowa, where it seemed we had a lot more tornado's than we do here, I do not recall these long weather watches on the news! I missed Survivor!
Couldn't agree more, except I watch no TV. But they capitalize on people's fears, but all they create in me is a cry-wolf syndrome to where I don't really care anymore Now, I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic about missing those shows?!
that's too bad, because I did watch My name is Earl, Scrubs, and The Office all while I was doing laundry last night, and enjoyed all of them. Good thing there's the internet to catch up. But of course they can't use commercial time for weather updates, because that would cut into their bottom line. And the big CEOs need their big fat paychecks.
Your rant is just too funny! I loved it! So true, so true. The Burrs come over every Thursday night to watch the Office with us and we were all disgusted with the weather reports! Where the heck is Pawnee anyways??? Well, I'm glad we aren't alone in our disappointments!
Someone told me that it never used to be that way until the OKC Bombing in 1995. At that point, the news pre-empted everything for several days, and they discovered the POWER that they had to do so, to show who was the best at getting the latest and best info and thorough coverage.
Now they do it WHENEVER they want to, especially with weather info. Or the most trivial "late breaking" news that surely could have waited until the 5pm broadcast.
Can I just say "I SECOND THAT!" I look forward to Thursday nights. It's the one night Chris is home (beside Sundays) and we like to chill out to TV when the baby is in bed...but NOOOOOOOOO that's TOO MUCH TO ASK when you're living in tornado alley!
i totally totally agree! i haven't watched those shows yet! are you kidding me they interrupted the office!? what on earth!??? that makes me upset!! great! I knew that grey's was interrupted! i swear why!??? WHY!??? it makes me soo mad! at least they are rescheduling some of the shows for sat at like 2 am and so on!
What the heck are the people without tivo going to do!? sad!
i know, they should for real ONLY stick to commercials! someone needs to write in and tell them! what on earth!
Post a Comment