
So, I just spent about 2½ hours by myself (no kids) shopping. Sounds just lovely doesn't it? Well, not so. I don't know if anyone else shares my sheer hatred of the department store fitting rooms. But I find them to be the emotional equivalent of a midieval torture chamber. Maybe it's the florescent lighting above, making my face/neck look all blotchy, zitty and patchy in color. Maybe it's the mirrors, did they steal them from a fun-house because I swear they skew your image and make you look much wider in the buttocks/thigh region. I simply don't look that bad when I'm at home is what I'm getting at.
See, last year between June-Nov I lost about 27 pounds. I was lookin' good. I was feelin' good. I bought new clothes, and the warmth and satisfaction as I tried on those clothes and saw how DARN GOOD they looked on me was SO incredibly satisfying.
THEN I GOT PREGNANT. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. But it does change things. Seemingly immediately. I got sick. Pregnancy nausea is an evil thing. You are so sick to your stomach you can hardly function. You spend most of your time in your pajamas on your couch. You don't hardly cook or clean, smells affect you so severely, and taking your two year old to the bathroom and back is a nauseating necessity that you can't neglect. And you EAT. YOU EAT AND EAT because it is the only way to beat the nausea back, or "deaden it" just slightly enough so you feel a tiny bit more normal. So, with the eating, and the butt-glued-to-couch lifestyle, I gained weight. I won't say how much. But it is much more than I wanted to have gained at 15 weeks of pregnancy, and I want to cry.
I did cry in the fitting room today. Call it hormones...I call it mourning over what my body has become. All I wanted to do today was to buy some shirts that will fit more comfortably during this early "too big for normal clothes but not preggers enough for maternity clothes" stage. I only selected shirts in the size of "L" or "XL" on the label, thinking I would be more generous with my size estimate. Well, as I tried each one on, I got more and more depressed. All that work I had gone through to lose all that weight and look so good....totally gone. I looked and felt huge. Those shirts were tight on my stomach (and I can't say it is "baby" because technically baby is only the size of a small apple right now), hips, upper arms, butt and thighs. I just cried even as I repeated the mantra in my mind "I am not fat, I AM Pregnant" over and over. No good. Now I remember why I never shop for myself. Of the 18 shirts I tried on, I have purchased 2. I will try them on for my husband and ask him if they make me look fat....and then decide whether or not to keep him. Boy, he has no idea what he is up against when he gets home tonight.












6 comments:
i am so sorry! it is such a hard place to be. I will take you shopping next time and girl power will prevail
Sarah, you crack me up. I do the same thing in the dressing rooms. Mirrors are evil and scales are of the devil! LOVE YOURSELF. Just look in the mirror each morning and say "Da*# I look GOOD! BTW, you looked great on Sunday. I know is sucks to lose all the feminine body shape and feel, but you'll get it back.
Be glad you are pregnant. It's only nine months of a very long lifetime. One day you will wish you had a reason to be fluffy. But for now you are creating life and that's all that matters. You will lose the weight again. Pregnancy is temporary.
On a side note Pregnant or not fitting room mirrors BITE!
I function the exact same way with regards to nausea and pregnancy and gain loads of weight beginning at conception. I feeeeeeel your pain!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SISTER... I TOTALLY HEAR YOU! you KNOW i am SOO WITH YOU ON THAT ONE!! losing the weight, and feeling great... then getting pregnant... and then gaining it all back because of the sickness of pregnancy! HELLO! i am totally with you on this one!
I am sorry! but, think of this.... it is soooooo SOOO CUTE looking pregnant! i loved it.... and then the baby is SOO worth it! i am LOVING baby kapri! and yes, i still look HUGE, but, i am LOVING my little angel that came out of it...
I try to tell myself that, when i am NOT pregnant any longer and going thru that same thing ONCE AGAIN! Oh my goodness! i know what you mean!
but, you still look great hon! don't stress!!! I KNOW how you are feeling FOR SURE!!!
AHH the beauty of having kids!!! lose the weight, and put it RIGHT BACK ON! good times!!
SORRY That was soo dang long!
Post a Comment